Ceremonies of inna dunsikaled
Ceremonias de inna dunsikaled
|Subject Language||Kuna, San Blas |
|Language PID(s)||ailla:119499 |
|Title [Indigenous]||Inna dunsikaled|
|Language of Indigenous Title||cuk|
|Title||Ceremonies of inna dunsikaled|
|Place Created||Comarca de Kuna Yala|
|Language of Indigenous Description|
|Description||Recording of a puberty ceremony - an inna or chicha - in October of 1970. The chicha was of a variety called inna dunsikaled, which is a slightly truncated version of the long chicha or inna suid. This recording includes two reel tapes. The recording, though not continuous, captures long sequences of events in the chicha. The most important of these events are: |
(on the first side of the first tape - KUA009R011I001)
1. several admonishments by village leaders with responsibility for puberty ceremonies, include Frances Smith, Vicente Arosemena, and perhaps others. James Howe has a transcription of these speeches. Loud inebriated kibbutzing can be heard.
2. Chanting by the presiding "flute-men" (gandurgana or kanturkana) and perhaps others.
3. A performance of a chant called Susu Sappin by Milton Harris.
(on the second side of the first tape - KUA009R011I002)
4. performance of another chant by Milton Harris.
5. singing by the mother of the girl for whom the ceremony was given, then by a kinsman, Nicolas Morales.
6. flutemen singing with a radio playing in the background, one of the performers very hoarse.
7. long, not very sober, conversation by participants in the chicha.
8. description of the events, fieldnotes, by James Howe in English.
9. singing by a new set of kantules.
(on the second tape - KUA009R011I003)
10. flutemen singing.
11. ritual that ends chicha, with group of men performing the uchaed "doing the agouti".
|Contributor(s) Individual / Role||Howe, James (Researcher) |
Harris, Milton (Actor, performer)
Smith, Frances (Actor, performer)
Arosemena, Vicente (Actor, performer)
|Contributor(s) Corporate / Role|
Media FilesThere are 12 objects in this resource
|Object||File Types||Access Level|